Deaf Children NZ (DCNZ) can provide financial assistance for our members in a number of different ways.
Please note: to be eligible to apply for financial assistance, families must be either:
- A member of DCNZ; and/or
- A financial member of a Full Member (a Regional Parent Group).
NZ Sign Language Classes Subsidy Fund
Available to DCNZ members (and family members who they live with, or care for) who wish to learn New Zealand Sign Language at home, in a community class or online.
This Subsidy Fund provides $400 (including GST) per Term, with a maximum total allowance of $1,600 per family, per calendar year.
- Go to the NZSL Classes Subsidy Form
NZ Sign Language Learning Subsidy Fund 2020
This Fund (which closed 28 Feburary 2020) was generously funded by The NZSL Board, for a particular time period, which was orignally until the end of Term 2 of 2020.
The COVID-19 Alert Level 4 Lockdown meant that this time period has been pushed out until the end of 2020. Applicants can postpone their NZSL lessons until Term 2, Term 3 and/or Term 4, as long as the maximum funding allocation is not exceeded.
Please contact our Community Manager, Meg Melvin via email email@example.com or call/text 021 0892 7668 to inform us about your proposed lesson plan or if you have any queries.
Tutor Fees Subsidy Fund
DCNZ can provide assistance to subsidise to cost of engaging a private tutor for students (for Y1 to Y13).
Speech Language Therapy Fees Subsidy Fund
DCNZ can provide assistance to subsidise to cost of engaging a private Speech-Language Therapist (SLT).
Assistive Devices Subsidy Fund
Often technology makes life for Deaf and Hard of Hearing children a little easier. DCNZ can assist with a small grant towards a device, such as a vibrating alarm clock, flashing fire alarm, cell phone, etc.
Advanced Learning Scholarships
The John and Betty Rose Scholarship is for post-secondary students looking to study at a Tertiary centre in New Zealand. DCNZ grants two scholarships per year of $1,000 towards Tertiary fees.
- Go to the Advanced Learning Scholarship Form
Each year DCNZ recognises the top achievers throughout New Zealand with awards from Year 9 to Year 13.
The winners receive DCNZ trophies to keep for the year, along with medals and a cheque for them to keep. The awards take into account the effort of the applicants, their achievements, and their attitude.
- Years 1 – 8 The Deaf Children New Zealand Medal
- The Year 9 Bensley Cup (Certificate & $100)
- The Year 10 Zis Lurajud Cup (Certificate & $100)
- The Year 11 Makere Mason Trophy (Certificate & $100)
- The Year 12 Margaret Cooper Trophy (Certificate & $100)
- The Year 13 Devine Family Cup (Certificate & $250)
- The Norma Taylor Memorial Trophy (Certificate & $500)
- Go to the Excellence Award Application Form
Grants | Individual or Parent Group
DCNZ is able to provide grants to assist individuals or Parent Groups with things not covered in our other assistance, such as competitions or events.
- Go to the Grant Application (Individual) Form
- Go to the Grant Application (Group) Form
We post opening and closing dates for funding on our Facebook page so please Like and Follow us to keep informed.