Te Pukapuka O Nga Whānau
An introduction for the families and whānau of children diagnosed with a hearing loss.
This book was inspired by Choices, a publication by the Australian Hearing Services. First published in 2005, The Family Book was a joint project by Deaf Aotearoa NeTe Pukapuka O Nga Whānau.
The 2013 version was produced by the Ministry of Education with assistance from all original contributors and is supported by the Ministry of Health.
This pdf version has been split into sections to make it easier to download and/or read online:
- Download Section 1. Diagnosis (PDF, 1.7Mb)
- Download Section 2. Deafness and culture (PDF, 822Kb)
- Download Section 3. Deaf culture (PDF, 2Mb)
- Download Section 4. Hearing loss and hearing tests (PDF, 1.2Mb)
- Download Section 5. Hearing aids, cochlear implants, and other assistive technology (PDF, xMb)
- Download Section 6. Communicating with your baby or toddler (PDF, 1.3Mb)
- Download Section 7. Language development and education options (PDF, 844Kb)
- Download Section 8. Contacts and resources (PDF, 931Kb)